Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Drive

The pilgrimage to Michigan truly took the form of Planes, Trains and Automobiles this year. I took NJ Transit from NYC early on Friday morning and by 10:30am, my mom, dad and I were on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, on the way to Michigan. Katie, flew in from DC. But I am getting a bit ahead of myself...


The trip was uneventful-- no construction, nice weather. We even had time to stop in Milan, Ohio, birthplace of Thomas Edison and home to my mother for 7 years. Milan is quiet sleepy, but beautifully quaint. Here's my mom outside her old house, the House of 40 Doors (no worries, we weren't snooping around an occupied house; no one is living there at the moment as it is being renovated.)

We stopped for dinner next. We were going to try Don Quan's Mexican Grill, but were frightened off by the table of 20 who hadn't yet ordered. The decor was also off-- the restaurant was either a temple or a Chinese restaurant in an earlier life so all the Asian decorations had just been painted over red, white and green. Luckily Danny Boy's Italian was across the street and turned out to be a great find. (They even had an "Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago" sub.) Life in rural Ohio sure is different than life on the East Coast, but the people are genuinely kind and friendly, some of the best of America!


Sunset over Ohio



Our next adventure occured in DEEtroit. Families were setting fireworks off and one in particular totally freaked out my mom: "Holy S--t, I think we've been shot, here comes the big one, take me home Jesus."

We spent the night at G&G's, drove to Leland yesterday and awoke this morning to cool temps but awesome views of the Lake.

More later...

7 Comments:

Blogger kelly said...

yay Midwest!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

the best things come from the heart of America:-)

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poor mother did NOT say that, did she?? She's going to throttle you when she reads this post. ;)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Do I ever exaggerate? Noo.....

No, seriously, she really did say that! Imagine, my friendly Midwest mom saying such a thing...I laughed all the way to Metro airport and then texted Katie so she could greet my mom with a big "Take me home Jesus."

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did your mother live in the house? We purchased the home about 4 years ago and are almost finished with the renovation.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow! My mom lived there from 1957-1961-- GM transfer. She will be so excited to hear that you left a comment. She so loved that house!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am so pleased to hear that my old homestead is being lovingly cared for. My parents would be so pleased.
My father is actually the one who coined the name "House of Forty Doors"! I have wonderful memories and stories about the house! My parents bought the house from the Door family. If you want to know more...just give my daughter Erin another posting, and I would be happy to dig up some old pictures and share some stories about the house and the period that we lived in it! So glad you are the entrusted caregivers...it is a wonderful home and I have tremendous memories of our years in Milan!
Martha (Farley)Taylor

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home