Thursday, November 09, 2006

So much good news


1. My mom’s birthday was on Tuesday—Election Day. “Happy birthday to mom, happy birthday to mom, the Democrats won Congress, happy birthday to mom!!”





2. The Democrats won Congress… actually I am not convinced that this is good news for Democrats. Now they can’t just complain about Republicans; they have to do something. Still, my senator was sent packing and humble pie is on the menu at certain houses in DC. I’ll take it:-)

3. Today is November 9—the 17th anniversary of one of my favorite moments in history…when the Berlin Wall came down!! Since Germans are always apprehensive to celebrate the day, (understandably because of the Night of Broken Glass) allow me to congratulate the country on its November 9, 1989 activities!

Just out of curiosity, I checked the NYT to see what else was happening on that day:
- Much like today, the press was still sorting out the November 7 election-- David Dinkins just barely beat Rudy Giuliani in the NYC Mayoral race and Virginia elected an African American Democratic governor.
- The Lincoln Savings and Loan Scandal was plaguing Congress
- Americans and Japanese agreed to work together on "the next generation of video technology," high definition tv.

4. Today is Friday! Okay, you're right, it’s Thursday. But as I have off for Veterans Day tomorrow, I get to pretend today is Friday:-)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for those wanting to learn more about the GDR, allow me to shamelessly plug the following website: www.gdr-wunderkammer.org!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have Veterans Day off. Lucky you!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

ooh, I had yet to see your website. IT ROCKS! What a great conclusion to your year. What's the next fellowship we can apply for? I am ready to go back!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why apply for a new fellowship? i think we can get a few extra bucks from uncle alex...
or look into luce fellowships.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, that's right... I think it is about time for a network building trip!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home