Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Promised Land (the sequel)

After a great Saturday, and a Sunday that was wunderbar, yesterday can only be described as fantastic! Why? Because I put a security deposit down on an apartment! I hesitate to get too excited because of the hoopla I raised last time, only to be disappointed. Something could still fall through. But as I seem to have gotten further in the process than last time, allow me to describe my soon-to-be casa in a bit of detail.

I will be living on the parlor level of a meticulously restored brownstone in Brooklyn Heights. The ceilings are super high, the wood floors are nicely refurbished, there are shutters on the windows and molding on the ceiling. The kitchen is tiny (literally in a closet) and the fridge is not full-size, but I am just going to consider that to be the German/European charm of the place. The bedroom, as realtors like to say, is cozy. “Cozy,” in NY realtor speak, means a bed may or may not fit in the bedroom. Luckily I saw a bed in the bedroom yesterday, so I know it works. The bed was actually lofted and the loft will stay, but I see me climbing down an 8-foot ladder each day as an incident waiting to happen. I will probably keep the bed on the ground and use the loft for storage. The inside of the building is 100% my Grandma Trisha—warm lighting and floral carpet runners line the stairs and the hall. The outside of the building is 100% Granny—I’ve got 2 flower boxes that I will be responsible to keep nicely filled (it’s in the lease.) Also outside is a garden…my own secret garden! Really! Four brownstones are connected in back by a garden that the tenants can use. I’ve been told that loud music and BBQs are no-no’s, but that enjoying the fountain and ivy covered gardens in the spring and summer is a must.

The funny part of the whole process was sitting down with the owner for an hour-long interview. She was a treasure trove of Brooklyn info, telling me all about the things I have to see: farmers market, art museum, botanical garden, cemetery where Currier and Ives are buried, and, and, and… The owners really love Brooklyn and seem to be on every historic and decision making committee in town.

Okay, so as you can tell, I am actually very excited! I’d love to have visitors as soon as Thanksgiving, provided I am in by then. If not, think New York during the Christmas season:-) Wahoo!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee!! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pics (and visit) :-D!!!!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy moly! That's the fastest New York apartment search I have ever heard of. Corey and I can't wait to come and visit. We have a wedding to go to in NYC sometime next spring, and hope to combine that with a trip to see this mythical Newtown that I have heard so much about. Congrats on the new place (I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that everything goes okay with the move-in) and take lots of pictures! ;)

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Christmas party is back on!
Date to be announced!
You did it kiddo!
Good job!
Love,
Mom
ox

4:21 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Woohoo -- I am so happy for you!! And the place sounds wonderful, not just an "oh my goodness I can't take this anymore I need an apartment now" apartment!

Can't wait to see some photos!!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks everyone! Pictures to follow soon. Talked to the realtor today and I should have the lease tomorrow or Saturday.

Unfortunately, on the dog front, they are not allowed in the building...cats only. But the landlady has a dog, who I was sucking up to in the hopes of convincing the her that my loveable old bichon should be allowed to visit. I guess this means no Ed Koch or Libby the dog.

9:24 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

Congratulations!!! I'm assuming you'll post pics in the near future... (hint hint ;-))

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home