Wednesday, November 01, 2006

BROOKLYN HEIGHTS BABY!

The security deposit, first month's rent and broker fees have been paid and...the lease to my new apartment has been signed!!! Did you hear the giant sigh of relief coming from NYC around 2pm yesterday?

Here are some pictures of my gemuetlich new apartment:


The front of the building. It was built in the 1800's.



The front door. There was originally a giant stoop from the sidewalk up to the top of the door you now see. But like many other brownstones in the area, the stairs were removed in the early 1900's so that the brownstone could be turned into a multi-family building. It apparently costs $80,000 to replace stoops and upwards of $25,000 for traditional brownstone front doors.



Staircase to the parlor level



The kitchen is in a closet immediately as you walk in the front door. I don't think shopping in bulk at Sams Club will be in my future!



The living room...to be kept much cleaner when I move in!! The bedroom is through the door to the left



The bedroom...the current tenent has a queen-sized bed in the loft and a desk behind the dresser. I plan to keep the bed on the floor!



the garden in the back of the building. It's called Valentine's Park and is named after one of the original owners of the house.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool!! I lofted my bed in college but was not much of a fan of having to climb down in the morning when I was groggy, so I think you are right to use the loft in an alternative fashion. And the kitchen may be in a closet, but I know you'll be whipping up some award-winning cheese balls in there despite the lilliputian proportions of the appliances! ;)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I sign up for a weekend at the ET Bed and Breakfast? I think your patience paid off- the place is GREAT!!! I am so excited for you!!!
The bed on the floor is a good plan b/c Ed Koch is going to need to be able to jump in :) That sounds so bad, doesn't it?!

love ya!
xoxo

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I l-o-v-e it! One of these days I'll get around to sending you pics of my place. It's "vintage" as well, but no cool loft bed, as the ceilings are too low. Can't wait to see your place in person! :-)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

LOL, Ed Koch will only be in my bed if that is the name of my dog or cat (or maybe if there is a hot Ed Koch Jr... no, j/k, bad Erin!!)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood. I had a friend who lived in that building -- the garden is one of the truly great secrets of New York. AND the landlady is REALLY picky -- you must be pretty special. ;)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin! Congrats. The building and your apartment look absolutely charming. Can't wait to visit :)
Jennie

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home