Thursday, October 19, 2006

1-800-what-on-earth

My arrival to the city has meant an inauguration to New York’s tabloid newspapers. There are two big ones: the slightly liberal Daily News and the most conservative Post. They are not tabloids like other American tabloid’s you might think of (“Woman gives birth to alien baby who looks like Michael Jackson.”) These papers are more like The Sun in the UK or Bild in Germany (minus the booby naked ladies.) There is a wide spectrum of news, with a heavy dose of gossip, sports and catchy headlines.


Anyway, one article today struck me as so unbelievably New York, I just had to mention it. Apparently New York City parents are now attaching “howsmynanny.com” signs to their kids’ strollers so passersby can report mistreatment they witness on the street. The service costs $50 and is a play off of the 1-800-hows my driving bumper stickers that many trucking companies put on their trucks in the US. RIDICULOUS!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howsmyhusband.com and & howsmywife.com will be launching any day now, if they haven't already. Ahhh... the smell of capitalism!!

On another topic, howstheapartmenthunt going? I'm having a "Grid" Sale (another nickname for Midtown, my new 'hood) this weekend. I can't believe I still have this much stuff!!

Happy hunting!

1:02 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

disturbing, but on the other hand it's better to have a "hows my nanny" and have the nannies who might otherwise be careless with the kids know that they'd better be careful. at least in public

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home