Saturday, November 18, 2006

O' Tannenbaum, O' Tannenbaum


The temperature earlier this week may have indicated Easter time, but the spirit at Rockefeller Center was all Christmas.


Last week a 88-foot tall (26 meter) tree made its way from Connecticut to Midtown, where it will serve as the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. The official lighting ceremony (rumored to be a packed madhouse) takes place on the 29th. I can't wait to see the final product, but watching the preparations was equally amazing to be sure.




As you can see, scaffolding has been constructed around the entire tree. The Swarovski crystal star is already in place at the top of the tree, but workers are currently stringing lights.

Most remarkably, they are also stapling and nailing cuttings and branches from the base of the tree into the bald spots higher up. Learning this was a bummer...not because it seems a bit Hollywood, but rather because as I saw the cuttings bundled together, I had grand visions of Rockefeller Center Christmas greens in my flower boxes and was trying to decide what it would take to bribe the tree guys into letting me have some. Oh well!



So now I am really starting to get into the Christmas mood! Perhaps it's time to pull up some Christmas tunes on my IPod and get singing! I need to get shopping too, but have implemented a shopping verbot until after I relocate-- no reason to move anything more than absolutely necessary!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I'm already starting to put up Christmas decorations. I can't help it - it's my favorite time of the year. And, as sad as it may sound, I can't wait to sit in my darkened apartment with my Christmas tree lit up and a warm cup of hot chocolate (with marshmallows!) in my hands listening to Christmas music!

I'm jealous that you're so close to Rockefeller Center. Our ice skating rink here is roughly the size of my living room. And the wait to get on the ice is upwards of an hour. Oh well, at least we can ice skate outdoors wearing only t-shirts and jeans! :-)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uhm... do you mean the Royal O'Tannebaums? Just b/c I strongly believe O'Tannenbaum would be a very odd german-irish last name.

;-)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Looking at Christmas lights in the dark is one of my favorite things too!!! I don't think it is sad, it's cozy and warm...and could be romantic;-)

O'Tannenbaum does sound a bit Irish-German doesn't it?:-) Or would it be McTannenbaum?
I've never seen Royal Tenenbaums, but have heard it is great. Perhaps I shall add it to my list.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

So are you going to go ice skating in Rockefeller Center after work one of these days (or maybe at lunch)?

5:10 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

when is the official move-in date?

5:18 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Funny that you mention ice skating. While I was watching people skate last week I stood next to two hard core New Yorkers (or Bostonians...accent was rough in any case) who were saying that you should be a really good skater before taking a loop on the Rockefeller Center ice for all to see. I can hold my own on the ice, but will probably wait until the rink is a bit more crowded so I blend in with the crowd if/when I fall on my rump.

Pritilata, I wonder who you could be referring to!?;-)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

p.s. if memory serves, you are a great spinner on the ice. Perhaps we will have to take a spin on the ice when you come to town this winter:-)

11:55 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I will check with Mr. Taylor's social secretary and get back to you:-)

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home