Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dogs and Germany (unrelated topics)

As part of becoming a New Yorker, I think I need a dog. Everyone here seems to have one (and unlike what goes on in Deutschland, dog owners clean up after their pets!) Admittedly, this would complicate any eventual plans to leave NYC for DC, Germany or elsewhere. But I really want one!

Whether I should get a pet and what I should adopt became a topic of conversation over the weekend. I also really like guinea pigs. A chinchilla would be cool too, but I don’t know much about them. Are they nice? Playful? Smelly? While I didn’t come up with a definitive answer on whether I will adopt something, Corey, Niki, Katie and I did come up with a few name suggestions:
1.Giuliani
2.Hillary
3.Ed Koch (to be called Ed Koch, not just Ed)
4.Mr. Big
5.Libby (can you guess where this name comes from)

Any other suggestions?


In unrelated but important news, today is German Unification Day! As most who know me know, the fall of the Wall is the moment in history that I would most like to go back in time to see. That happened on November 9, but as German Unification Day is the day the east and west legally became one, I think today is also a pretty cool holiday. It’s especially nice in Germany because you have the day off and in Washington because there is a big party. In New York, I’ll just have to go about my day humming:

“Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, für das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach lasst uns alle streben, brüderlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, sind des Glückes Unterpfand;
Blüh' im Glanze dieses Glückes, Blühe, deutsches Vaterland.”

Happy Unification Day Germany!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a combination of two of your name suggestions, i'd call your pet "mr. ed". (obviously you are not going to have a horse, but you could at least pretend)

greetings from your fellow along-reader-but-never-had-the-time-or-inspiration-to-post-anything-reader

p.s. obviously germany could not have their national holiday on the 9th of november, as that is the same day as "reichskristallnacht". it could make a wrong impression.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I will consider Mr. Ed, but I think I need a NYC inspired name. My friend Daniel and I were discussing this yesterday and decided that I should get a boy and girl and name them Giuliani and Hillary...they would be the next political odd couple.

You are right about the Night of Broken Glass. It is amazing to me that the best and the worst of the humanity could rear its face on the same date.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Here's a funny Unification Day tidbit... I noticed that my Berlinadventures blog had a lot of hits yesterday. When I did a bit of investigation I discovered that my entry about October 3 from last year was the sole link from a blog with a picture of 2 "well endowed" German women drinking beer. The caption reads something like "there is a lot to be thankful for." I bet the people who clicked on the link were highly disappointed to discover a somewhat boring entry about nationalism and
patriotism:-) Here's the link:
cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm partial to Ed Koch, personally. There's just something about comparing something so cute and furry with... well, you get the picture. Unless you get a bulldog, then the name's just plain necessary. :-)

Libby's a good option, but almost too cute. Even worse? Miss Libby or Miss Liberty. The poor thing would have to walk around with a sparkler attached to her tail just to live up to the name.

Good luck with the apartment/pet/name search!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get a labradoodle and name it Yankee Doodle Dandy! Dogs are a lot of work, but I wouldn't trade mine for the world! Go for it!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have two wonderful little Gerbils we would be happy to send to you. Their names are Buttons and Butter but I bet they wouldn't mind if you changed their names. DT

7:37 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

awww, yes I heard that Buttons and Butter are not the hot thing anymore. Unfortunately I have to admit that I am partial to rodents without tales:-)

Steph, good name suggestion! Very patriotic! Right up my alley!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Uncle Larry about the gerbil his fraternity had at MSU.

If you do get a dog and name it Ed Koch, it's got to be something cute - like a poodle or something . . .

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George Patakis. You could call him Patty!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, you should call him Pat. Pat the dog.
(Friends-Fan? Yes I am!)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

All great suggestions! There will of course be pictures of Ed Koch or Patty, Hillary or whomever when he/she arrives...
oh yeah details, I still don't have an apt!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Columbus Day (early, because I'm off on Monday)! Why didn't I start working for a gov't-type agency sooner?!? Guess I'm a slow learner...

Just wanted to wish you luck with the apartment hunt (again)!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home