Thursday, August 07, 2008

My trip to Lonnggh Island... "bring a weapon"

A visit to NYC by my cousin Stephanie found me taking the Long Island Railroad to Great Neck last night to meet her for dinner. “What is the LIRR like,” I asked a native New Yorker?

“Bring a weapon,” he told me.

“WHAT?!”

“The crowd is much rougher than the Metro North crowd; they’re from Long Island, what would you expect. The track assignments are posted late. People run over old ladies with walkers. Old ladies hit you with their purses to get a set on the over crowded trains. Be prepared,” he said.

“Holy Cow!”

But I’m pleased to report that none of that came to fruition. With the exception of the 5 year-old boy practicing his armpit farts and Japanese next to me, the ride was uneventful and I had no problem at the station or getting a seat.

Of course it was wonderful to see (the now pregnant) Stephanie! We had a lovely dinner in the lovely town of Great Neck. As we both agreed, Great Neck is like Rochester or Birmingham but with a much higher percentage of funny accents and guidos. And there weren’t even that many guidos…just funny accents:-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

Huh? When I took the LIRR to Islip last year, you never warned me to take a weapon! Good thing those Long Islanders let me be. Maybe they could tell I was already traumatized from having my flight cancelled the day before.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Well that's because I had never been on LIRR myself...but knew it should work for you in theory:-) Come to think of it that was probably not a good thing for me to do considering the events the day before. But your skills on the subway convinced me that you could handle the LIRR;-)

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Neck, I know it well. It was one of my hangouts. Did you know the origonal United Nations Headquaters was there? The Sperry Gyroscope Co.( who ever heard of that) took over the UN Building and i visited there often. It was our sister company. The building was ( or Is) so long the employees rode a bike to get from one part to the other. Trivia for today!

So glad you two could get together!

Grandpa T.

PS I rode the LIRR from Manhatten to Great Neck

3:28 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow, cool, I didn't know that about Great Neck-- that you had been nor that the UN was there. I'm going to go look up more info about the UN.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Don and Steph said...

dog
Hi Erin!

I had a great time in NY! Thanks for making the trek out to see me! It was great to catch up!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry dude.... trust anyone who has ever spent any time in great neck...it's not anything like rochester. or birmingham. (birmingham? really? was that serious?)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Really, you've been to Rochester and Birmingham, MI? I think Middle Neck Road is a dead ringer for 2 of my fav MI towns.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home