Monday, July 21, 2008

Midwest friendly

Yes, another post on Midwest friendliness, specifically my lack thereof.

First, a guy dressed in shorts, white sport shoes, wife beater (white tank top undershirt) and man jewelry was blocking the sidewalk the other day. My very first thought as I mosied toward him..."move it guido." Not, "excuse me," "pardon me" or even "out of my way." No, I wanted to say "move it guido."

And then tonight on the subway, there was an idiot holding the center pole in the subway car with 2 hands. As the train would slow down and speed up, he would pull and push towards and away from the pole like he thought he was holding on to a wind surfer. I tolerated this until about 8th Street when a decided it was time to get some sharp elbows.

All of this has me wondering about my longevity in a city full of guidos and crowded subways.

p.s. This isn't a hint towards any kind of announcement...just a bit of frustration!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh. It's just the summer heat getting to you. Wait until September -- you'll be all "I <3 NY" again. :)

-Peter, the guy you overheard on the Clark Street elevator a few years back talking about whether there was a staircase... and who is now running http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you had plenty of those moments in Berlin, too! I know I have them every time there's an FC Köln game. :-)

Don't worry, your Midwest friendliness isn't at risk. It will always be just below the surface, waiting for the moment you truly need it.

Hope you're enjoying your summer.

Liebe Grüße from cold, rainy Germany!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Peter, probably true. Incidentally, tried a Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookie on your recommendation and agree that it is to die for!!
Site looks cool, looking forward to browsing through it more closely.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Probably right JP...though now I only have romanticized memories of Deutschland:-)

But since you mention Fussball, you're right, the soccer game days when the police would stand at the Zoo train station in full riot gear were off-putting.

Hope you are enjoying summer...may be rainy but at least you are just a few kilometers away from great gummi bears and cheese;-)

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I pass the Haribo factory every day on the way to work. The sweet smell is a bit overwhelming on hot days, but it's still makes me smile. Do you remember that Lexy called to try to arrange a tour while we were in Bonn?!?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

ooh, I forgot about that. Perhaps Fredrick (aah, Fredick) will keep that in mind for future Studienreise:-)

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home