Sunday, September 09, 2007

Any old Saturday

As we quickly approach the 6th anniversary of 9/11, the first anniversary to happy on a Tuesday just like 9/11/2001, I spent some time yesterday thinking about how similar Saturday, September 8, 2001 probably was to September 8, 2007. Many people probably ran across the Brooklyn Bridge, just like I did. The weather was nice on both days and tourists visited the World Trade Center site, albeit for different reasons.

I headed down to the site yesterday to walk all the way around the giant pit, reflect and see what preparations are looking like for Tuesday. At first glance, the hole does now just look like a construction site. But giant American flags hung on adjacent buildings, memorials on the side streets, a substantial police presence and a couple remaining decrepid buildings are all erie reminders of what was.

Here are some pictures:
I think that is World Financial Center












view from the northern pedestrial bridge

















there were probably 40-50 motorcycles lined up on the side streets south of the site. All of the helmets said something similar.








The FDNY Memorial Wall: "Dedicated to those who fell, and those who carry on"












small memorial on one of the southern side streets









Ladder Co. 10 is literally in the street immediately south of where the towers once stood.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, I have not been to the location of the tragedy yet and this decision is a conscious one -- I am not ready yet. Just the thought of what happened 6 years ago tomorrow still brings tears to my eyes. I am not sure if I will ever be ready.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home