Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A smokey NY observation

I am not sure if there are any statistics to support this, but I am struck by how many working women in midtown smoke cigarettes. My sample size is small-- those people who walk with me from the 6 train in the morning and back to the E train with me in the evening--but the conclusion is unmistakable...tons of women are lighting up--YUCK!

Why is this? Is it that more women work in the few blocks around me? Unlikely. Is it that midtown jobs are stressful? Perhaps, but then why aren't men lighting up too?

The Department of Health released a study recently, which said that 17.5% of New Yorkers smoke and more men than women light up. Perhaps that is true overall, but something funny is happening on 3rd Ave.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

> cigarettes = < appetite

But, they often forget that:
> cigarettes = > wrinkles

I'm not sure the vanity trade-off is worth it, not to mention all of the (much more important) health issues.

Yuck, indeed!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JP, that is why we have botox!

I am totally totally kidding. I think smoking is nasty and my grandfather died of emphysema, so I have seen the subsequent pain that it puts the smoker and his/her family through.

ET, please don't walk with the smokers . . . I don't want your healthy lungs breathing in that crap!

AB

2:44 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

hey, did you all hear that germany banned smoking in hospitals (!!!duh??!!) and in restaurants unless there's a separate closed room. and it actually seems to be working :-)

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home