Monday, August 27, 2007

Washington Square Park


I occasionally wrote from Berlin that I had "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm in Berlin" moments. I have the kind of moments in New York-- as I drive over the Manhattan Bridge, see the city skyline and realize that I live here or as I sat in Washington Square Park recently and felt like I was living in a movie. Where the soundtrack playing in the background?

Washington Square Park is quintessentially New York. The arch anchoring the park is spectacular, commemorates the 1885 centenial of George Washington's inaugaration and was modeled after the Arch de Triomphe. You might also recognize it from "When Harry Met Sally." But there is a grittier feel to the park and a cast of characters that balances the arch's grandeur and reminds that you the arch is Paris but the vibe is all NYC. Musicians play, homless sleep, men play chess, children peddle bikes and dogs romp.

Grab a donut from the Donut Pub or a Bagel from Murrays on a crisp weekend morning come to the Park and watch the world go by. You'll be glad you did!

Some of the vibe and characters can be seen in the pictures below. Not sure what these people were preparing for, but they were very serious about their craft!



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, Erin!

sorry for offtopic - may be an interesting information for you: Coca-Cola has started to produce "kvas" in Russia, here is the picture of a bottle:

http://another-kashin.livejournal.com/3226523.html?

best wishes from Frankfurt,
yours, Sergej

8:16 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Sergej,
Thanks for the link! I still need to go to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn to see if I can find some kvas in NYC.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home