Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Where's the Veggie (burger)



This was the question I found myself asking this evening as I entered Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights. My hopes were high and I'd been looking forward to patronizing the newest establishment in the area. Five Guys beef burgers are supposedly fantastic. And any respectable burger joint (Zip Burger, Good Burger, BLT Burger, Shake Shack, etc...) has a good veggie burger. Unfortunately, Five Guys had no veggie burgers. I find this to be TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Did they not have veggie burgers tonight or at all? This is the big question. On their menu, they advertise:



The Burger Guru claimed that this means you can get a bun with vegetables or a grilled cheese, but not a veggie burger. Honestly, I found that notion to be ridiculous, but a quick search revealed the following comment on a message board: "I agree with everyone else - five guys is AMAZING! Some might be wondering.. what's a vegetarian doing at five guys? Well.. for you veggies out there who have no shame, I usually order a burger with no meat and then bring in a cooked boca burger patty so I can slip it into my meatless burger. It's still delicious."
A. Boca burgers are not veggie burgers, they are just plain gross.
B. The day I decide that carrying veggie burgers in my purse is an acceptable action is the day I start eatting beef again.

So what's a girl to do? Not eat at Five Guys again until they add a veggie (and by veggie I mean garden) burger to their menu? I am afraid so. The grilled cheese was decent, but "Welcome to the '90s Mr. Banks," burger joints these days serve veggie burgers!

P.S. The Burger Guru was quite impressed with his double cheese burger:-)
P.P.S. You can munch on peanuts while you wait, but everyone throws the shells on the floor of the restaurant. Hey now!

UPDATE: So I ranted about Five Guys on my blog, but truth be told, I also sent an email to their corporate HQ. (I blame my uppity-ness on the 2 cups of coffee that I had had earlier in the day...I'm not a coffee drinker.) Anyway, less than 24 hours later I had an email from the owner of my local Five Guys, apologizing for the confusion and inviting me to come back and try the veggie sandwich. NOW THAT's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Just as I successfully lobbied for the return of veggie chili to Issac Newton's in PA a few years ago, I think I might continue to lobby for a veggie burger at Five Guys. But in the meantime, I will take the owner up on his very nice offer. Welcome to the neighborhood Five Guys.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I went to my first Five Guys last week and saw the same thing. I was quite disappointed. They do have a Veg sandwich, but basically they grill all their veggies and put it on a bun with cheese. Not very exciting. I thought the fries were pretty good. I got to cajun fries and they were quite spicy. I ended up getting a hot dog, which was delicious. All that being said, I found the service slow and rude and the store generally very dirty. So, I won't be going back again unless in an act of sheer desperation. AB

10:11 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

in the Quad-Cities they have a restaurant called Texas Roadhouse where people throw the shells on the floor, too. Apparently it's the cool thing to do? And the waitstaff seem to think it's normal...

12:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yes, the peanut thing really threw me. If there was saw dust on the floor and we were at a BBQ restaurant, somehow I would have been able to go with the flow, but in an all-American looking burger joint, I was taken by surprise. Then again, I don't really think I like littering peanut shells at baseball games either. Perhaps I have remembered a few manners tips that my parents taught me:-)

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peanut shells on the floor = lawsuit waiting to happen! AB

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that peanut hull dust is a great dirt/liquid/grime trapper, which makes nightly sweep-ups much faster and more efficient (it's sometimes used in kitty litter). I'm trying to find a "source" for that little tidbit, so you'll just have to take my word on it for now!

Way to be an advocate, Erin! :-)

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home