Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Floating with Harry

Heather and I, Harry Potters in hand, took our maiden dips in the "Floating Pool Lady" Pool on Sunday. What a fun experience! The ability to sit on a man-made beach or swim in a pool on a barge, all while looking at the lower Manhattan skyline, is truly something to try for yourself. And since the pool is free, you can't beat the price:-)

I have a couple criticisms:
1. the price of the umbrella rentals-- highway robbery at $15/day
2. the experience is not relaxing. Because you are only allowed in the pool for an hour at a time on the weekends, one had the feeling that everyone was either waiting in line to get an admission bracelet, waiting in line to get onto the barge, being fed instructions over a loud speaker, or waiting for the hour swim time to be up.

Okay, those are the quibbles. Overall though, the pool was great. As I said, the skyline view is unparalleled. And of super high importance, the pool was clean-- not just the deck, but also the water, the bathroom/locker room, and beach area. I mean very clean! From that point of view, I can see why they close the pool for 30 minutes after every swim session. I was also impressed with the concession stand-- they served soy dogs!

I plan to go back on a weekday. I've watched the 5-6:30pm session from the Promenade and it looks pretty empty. Plus swim sessions on the weekdays are for 90 minutes instead of 60.

Perhaps the GW University bathing beauties will be on television in Japan...NHK national Japanese television was filming at the pool:-)

P.S. I'm on page 400 of Harry and it is FANTASTIC!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home