Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It even happens in New York City

As most who read this blog know, my family is from Michigan and we vacation in Leland, on the shores of Lake Michigan, every summer. This July will mark year #28 that we’ve been making this annual pilgrimage.

But the journey really begins long before July. The journey begins a few months before, on some random day, when we are walking down the street and feel the spirit of Leland. No, I’ve not inhaled one too many city fumes, this really happens…every year. The warm sun hits your face, while a light breeze quiets the surroundings and cools the air. For an instant you are sitting in a white Adirondack chair, looking out onto Good Harbor Bay as a ship passes in front of the Manitou Islands and waves lap quietly but methodically onto the shore.

I’ve had this feeling in Pennsylvania, in DC, even in Germany, but this year I wondered whether it was possible to feel the spirit of Leland in the hubbub of the Big Apple.

Indeed you can! As I emerged from underneath some scaffolding on Second Ave. between 52nd and 53rd earlier today, a breeze cooled the sunlight that hit my face and quieted the cars on the street and the Chinook helicopters flying overhead (Bush was in town.) In that moment, I felt Leland!

Check out the Jolli Lodge blog for pictures of where we vacation.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

28 years?! are you going to be 28?!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Leland tug pulls in California and Tennessee, as well.

CJS

9:14 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

No, I ring in #27 this year (now less than a month away:-0) But my parents first took me "Up North" when I was 6 weeks old, so that makes it #28.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading you comments about Lealand on this rainy cool day reminds us about some of the many good times we have had with your family. Sitting and watching the Leland 4th of July parade in anticipation of seeing the 1st Prize Taylor designed Leland Lodge Float come by and sitting around the picnic table enjoying a roasted Whitefish dinner with all of the family are two special events for us.

Love, G&G

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll admit that after reading these 4 comments and the Blog entry, I do have tears in my eyes.
How do you describe the JL calm that can envelop you months before?
You've got to love Jolli Lodge!
Mom oxoxoxo

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi All.....
What would a 4th of July be without the flag hanging from the eve on Southshore while the Taylors enjoy a picnic! Thanks for all of the memories! My folks and grandparents started it all back in the spring of 1956. Let's see....That's a few too many potlucks, marshmallow roasts and parades to count! Thanks again......

11:03 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

61 days and the Taylors will be back at Jolli Lodge to hang the flag (and have the discussion about which way we are supposed to hang the flag:-))

Hi G&G, thanks for bringing up white fish packets, I can taste them now! My dad and I have also discussed trying white fish tacos this year...getting fancy!

In other news, Uncle Dave reported today that he wasn't going to let the PA Taylors be the first Taylors in the Lake this year, so he jumped in THIS MORNING!! BBBRRRR!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home