Sunday, March 01, 2009

Berlin Whirlwind

With a transit strike getting ready to hit Paris, we hopped over to Berlin for a whirlwind visit to reminisce and show Katie some new sights.



As I had lived in the west, we tried a hotel in the east at Hackescher Markt. Great spot! We dropped our bags at headed for the first food stop, one of my favorite falafel stands, on Friedrichstrasse. HEAVENLY! Why can't NY falafel stands import German falafel, bread and most importantly the sauce??!! After my belly was filled with happiness, we headed off to the gummi bear store to stock up on wild fruit gummi candy. Also major yum! The third stop of the day was a cheese spaetzle dinner with some of my fav GW ladies who happened to be in Berlin at the same time. (notice a theme to the day:-)) The waiter was amused by the 4 Amis who all ordered cheese spaetzle!

Friday morning, the only time we had rain on the entire trip, we headed to the Altes Museum to see Neffertiti. Still looking good! Then it was on to KaDeWe, Berlin's shopping mecca. The food floor is simply unbelievable. With the exception of US cheddar cheese, I think you can buy everything there! Our final stop of the day was my old stomping ground in Wilmersdorf. The building I lived in is still pink, the cashier (who sometime had pink hair) was still at my local grocery store, and I still absolutely love the walk up Pfalzburgerstrasse to the Ludwig Kirch Platz. Ah Berlin!

The Queen of Egypt and the Queen of Woodley Park







View to the Berliner Dom from the Altes Museum. The biggest change from this view compared with the last time I was in Berlin is the absence of the Palast Der Republik. Can't believe that was actually torn down

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GW reunion in Berlin! I wish that I was there ;) J.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home