Sunday, March 01, 2009

More Paris

[So we've made it back to the States. I'm back in Brooklyn but Katie is still working on getting back to DC, she has got to be one of the most unlucky flyers ever! We had less internet access after Wednesday, so I'll add a couple more posts to finish off the trip.]

Day 2 in Paris was as great as day 1.

We found fantastic fondue for dinner on Tuesday, which gave us lots of energy for Wednesday! Stop #1: Louvre. We did the highlights tour. This was my second time at the museum and I really think the highlights tour is good because the museum is just too daunting otherwise.

Katie pondering Napoleon's Corronation



See mom, we made it
















We loved watching artists doing studies of the masters almost as much as we enjoyed looking at the original works of art














I was surprised at how crowded it was considering this is supposed to be the off season. But Winged Victory beckoned us through the throngs of people

Stop #2 was Place du Tertre and Sacré-Coeur in Montmarte. When we exited the subway at Absesses, we were greeted by one of only 2 original subway signs in the Paris metro system as well as an awesome band. The climb to the plaza was steep but well worth it. We enjoyed onion soup and vegetable soup at an outdoor cafe lining the square and watched the world go by. It was also fun to watch 2 guys come up to Katie and tell her that she has beautiful eyes and ask to sketch her portrait. One guy even tiger growled at her...priceless! (they were very correct about her eyes, but very wrong in thinking that giving an Eartha Kitt cat call at her would be effective:-)) We really loved the Montmarte area! Hard to believe that such a quaint area is located just a couple miles from the hubub of the Champs Elysee.



Place du Tertre












Sacre Coeur


















High above Paris












amazing area! One of our only major language mishap was that I apparently ordered 2 crepes instead on 1 on our walk back to the subway. Tooo bad:-)













After another big day, we decided to have a picnic in our room for dinner. Tres Bien!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Don and Steph said...

Great post! I miss Paris! Looks like you guys have had a wonderful vacation!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

TFR 2013 in Paris!!??

11:22 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'll admit that the only other language mishap of the day was my attempt to say "please" in French, which came out in Spanish :)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

LOL, yes, that was a slight mishap too. But I don't think the waiter heard. At least you said "check" in French:-)

We occasionally slipped into German too, but at least we speak some German. We don't speak any Spanish!...except apparently for "please".

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those trips to the Detroit Institute of Arts with my little sweeties must have made an imprint! So glad you made it to see Neffertiti- you know there is a story about the German who knowingly downplayed her importance so he could take her back to Berlin- Egypt is working to get her back! As for the Queen of Woodley Park- she is much more precious than Neffertiti!
Winged Victory ahhhhh- I guess I am like Sister Wendy who originally only knew about the art through postcards and books! I am loving that you girls are there!
Dinner looks great too!
Love you,
Mom oxoxoxo

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dwight and I are going to Paris in a couple of weeks... your blog is making me so excited for the trip! Would you mind sharing the name of the fondue place? It sounds like it might be vegetarian-friendly... we'd welcome any other veg-friendly restaurant tips you have for Paris, as well!

Glad you had a great trip!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

ooh, yes, I can recommend the fondue place. It's called Restaurant Le Boomerang at 3 rue Gregoire de Tours, which is right off of rue de Buci in the St. Germain part of town. We had the fondue with potato and bread, a big salad is included too. You can also do raclette there and tartiflette. I had never seen tartiflette before, but you are brought a piping hot stone and you cook meat on it.

As for other places, Cafe Paris (original name) on rue de Buci (don't know the exact address but the street is short) had great French onion soup and salad with warm goat cheese on toasted baguette.

I've also read that there are good fondue places in Montmarte. I didn't have any luck finding restaurants with lentils even though the French are famous for them. But legumes means vegetables so look for legume soup on menues, that's delicious too!

Ooh, one more thing (see how you've gotten me started on food), the ice cream place I mentioned is Le Flore en I'lle at 42 quai d'Orleans on Ile St-Louis. Not cheap but the ice cream is superb!!

Have fun. Eat a crepe for me:-)

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I love Montmarte!!! If I can ever learn how to speak french, that is where I will live!

AB

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home