Friday, March 09, 2007

Quick Update

I'm still having a blast in London and am happy to report that Katie has now joined in the fun! Though her bag got lost by Air Canada, it did finally arrive and she's been touring around while I'm in class each day.

Last night we heard a "Baroque Favorites" candlelight concert at St. Martin in the Fields. The church is undergoing a renovation, which detracted from the ambiance just a bit (and the Cafe in the Crypt was closed) but how cool is it to be sitting in downtown London listening to classical music!

Tonight we are off to find Indian on Brick Lane (??) and are heading to the markets and to high tea tomorrow.

Some observations:

Londoners are really still freaked out by the fire. There was actually a fire drill on my first morning of classes and loads of fire doors and extinguishers in all the buildings and hotels I've been in this week!

Men have crazy linings in their business suits. My favorite was the magenta lining, but the royal purple and red with paisleys were high style too.

CCTV (security) cameras are everywhere!

Americans can be so embarrasing! While at Wagamama's last night, we sat next to a kid from the East Coast (determined based on the way he said "water") who made his friend order for him because he didn't understand the waiter's British accent:
Waiter: "do you want still or sparkling water?"
Kid: "do I want what?"
Waiter: "do you want still or sparkling water? Water with bubbles."
Kid: "what is he saying? Man, just order for me."
The kid went on to shamelessly flirt with the girl next to him by informing her that he knew she was from Eastern Europe because of the TB scar on her arm.

Okay, there's more but Katie is now really mad that I'm blogging. More later...

4 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I totally concur with all of your observations!! (My dorm had so many fire doors in it -- I guess to contain a fire if there was one -- that you couldn't walk 20 feet without coming to a door!)

Glad you guys are still having a good time!!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog away my eldest child!
I am vicariously enjoying this trip to London and want to know every detail! Well,okay, only what you will share with me and the universe!!
Have a blast! Keep blogging!
Love ya both,
Mom oxoxoxox :)
PS Remember both Granny and I love antique silverware! HaHa

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog away my eldest child!
I am vicariously enjoying this trip to London and want to know every detail! Well,okay, only what you will share with me and the universe!!
Have a blast! Keep blogging!
Love ya both,
Mom oxoxoxox :)
PS Remember both Granny and I love antique silverware! HaHa

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your neighbor in your row may not have scored points with the Brits offering him water.. but I for one just don't get the Europeans taste for bubbly water. This Yank will take a regular glass of water any day. Enjoy your remaining days in the UK. DT

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home