Friday, February 23, 2007

In the headlines

In the last couple days, three stories made the headlines in New York that could have some impact on my life to greater and lesser degrees:

Big bite in Big Apple: What a surprise! Tax hit on city residents is worst in nation by far

Commentary: this sucks! If I am paying more in taxes than anyone else in the country, I want cleaner subways that actually run on the weekends and more frequent garbage pick-ups so trash bags don't have to sit on the curb.

Court: Ban on Social Dancing in New York Bars Is Legal

Commentary: Apparently the city's Cabaret Law, enacted during Prohibition, forbids dancing at all but specially licensed venues. A group of swing dancers said this infringes on their freedom of expression, but the state's Supeme Court Appellate Division disagreed and the law is going to stay on the books. I guess my days of dancing on table tops is over:-(

But just when those two stories got me thinking that maybe living in the city isn't worth it, I saw this article in the NY Post:

MCSTEAMY'S: INSIDE N.Y.C.'S HOTTEST (194°!) SINGLES SCENE


Apparently the Turkish and Russian baths on the LES are the place to be...FIELD TRIP!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I think technically it does, although the case was brought by a swing club so I think it has more to do with organized couples dancing. It's strange any way you cut it!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home