Monday, March 05, 2007

Jolly Good Time

Someone told me that if I don't like New York so much, I wouldn't like London because they are very similar...what was that person smoking!!?? London and New York could not be more different in my opinion. London certainly has a big city feel, but the scenery is much more picturesque, the subway is clean, the air is fresh and the daffodils and crocus are already sprouting in the park. Surprise surprise it rained yesterday, but the skies actually cleared by the end of the day and today it was sunny. In short...London is great!

Besides the fact that I was asked on two separate occasions whether I was coming over on a high school program, the flight to Heathrow was uneventful. Taking the tube into town was easy too and after a quick stop at the hotel to drop off my bag, I spent yesterday walking past Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square. I also toured Churchill's War Rooms (the secret bunkers used during WWII,) which I found to be absolutely fascinating. Secret until 1982, many of the rooms had been closed after the war and left almost completely intact, allowing visitors today to see the rooms as they were in the 1940's.

Here are some of my favorite British-isms from the last 24 hours:

- "British women are like British weather, rather unpredictable"- according to my waiter at the restaurant last night

- "Star jumps"- I believe this to be the British term for jumping jacks

- "This is like herding jelly"- my course leader in regard to walking my class around town to meetings.

- a hair gel commercial for guys running on tv at the moment advertises that the gel is so strong your spiky hair style won't be ruined by wearing a hoodie--BRILLIANT:-)

"London Adventures" will continue in a day or two...toodlepip!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Erin. Good to see you Saturday. I forgot to ask you if you are going to go see Harry Potter do the full monty?

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin! I am going to be in NYC next week from the 13-16th. Are you going to be back by then? I have to do a quick trip up to visit alumni.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time!! I love London so much that I'd somehow feel personally responsible if you didn't like it. Weird, I know!! Keep having a great time and can't wait to hear about the rest of your London adventures!!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved London! If you get a chance, visit the Spitalfields Market on Commercial Street. Lots of funky little designers and yummy pasties. Shopping and eating... what bliss!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to visit
Speaker's Corner, it is fascinating... and then the Portabello antiques area!!! I am so excited for you.
Oh yes, and I'm glad that your 9-5 is going smoothly too!!!
Love,
Mom
oxoxoxo

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

So glad your trip over went so well. Katie should be in the air as we write. Portobella Market was also a fav of ours-but I believe the big market with all the street vendors is on Sat. or Sun. Have a real fun time, you two!!

Love, G&G

9:58 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

hi everyone: I've had technical problems posting comments or new posts the last few days, but the internet cafe seems to be working better at the moment.

Anyway,
Tanya, Harry Potter in the buff poking out horse's eyes...PASS!
Niki, I'll be back in town on the 13th. Maybe we could do dinner on the 14th or 15th?
Erica, I've been to Pizza Express and Wagamamas--YUM!
JP, my sister and I are going to shop all day tomorrow. Thanks for the Spitalfields tip.
Mom and G&G, we are heading to Portabello Road tomorrow and then to high tea. We can't wait!
Anuradha, no Freiburg this time. I'm crushed, but it just got too complicated to plan. Maybe in May on my way to Mother Russia.

More soon (when Katie is not complaining about sitting in the internet cafe feeding my blogging addiction:-o)
-ET

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home