Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Where's the giant menorah?

I IMed a New Yorker friend of mine the other day to ask which radio station played all Christmas music between Thanksgiving and the Dec. 25th (I needed some Christmas tunes to sing to as I waxed my wood floors.) DC had such a station and so does Philly, so I assumed NYC must too. “Um, I don’t think we do that here. The demographic is different,” he wrote back. Interesting point! But for a city where “The Dreidel Song” might be more popular than “Little Drummer Boy,” there are Christmas trees everywhere and I haven’t seen a single menorah. I didn’t see any giant menorahs in Berlin last year, but to quote my friend, “the demographic is different.” But in DC the giant menorah stands right next to the Christmas tree behind the White House. Couldn’t Swarovski make a giant crystal menorah to stand next to the Rockefeller Christmas tree with Swarovski tree topper?

I did a little research on this matter and discovered that the world’s LARGEST (32-ft) menorah stands in Central Park at 5th Ave and 59th Street. New York also has the largest Jewish population outside Israel. Who knew? Guess I just found something else to put on my list of things to see and do in the city:-)

P.S. My friend was wrong; NYC does have a radio station that plays Xmas music.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Christmas sleuth! I haven't found the Nashville Christmas music station yet for one simple reason -- Corey has enough Christmas music now loaded onto his iPod to keep us awash in festive tunes for approximately two straight weeks, even if played 24 hours a day. And yes, you'll be happy to hear that much of Corey's music is, well, a little twisted. Whoever published and sold "A Trucker's Christmas" and "Da Yoopers Christmas" should be drawn and quartered. Be warned -- Corey has made a Christmas mix that he will be sending out to selected relatives (including lucky you!)sometime soon...

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure they'll break out a massive menorah (think 15 feet tall) outside Borough Hall once Hanukkah actually starts. Keep an eye out when you're hitting the greenmarket for apples and potatoes. ;)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

so is Corey in charge of music at the reunion?

Thanks Peter! I am hoping to check out the market today.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home