Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Lower East Side

Attending a Christmas party with belly dancers and off-color jokes; getting stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam because someone (IDIOT) got his tall truck stuck in the Holland tunnel; gagging so bad from the smell of subway you almost puke; sending more than ten messages from your Blackberry in one day. With all of those having happened to me in the last 72 hours, I am sure that I am well on my way to becoming a New Yorker (at least as much of a New Yorker as I ever want to become.)

Not only have I had those “unique” experiences in the last few days I have finally had a bit of time to set out and explore the city. The Lower East Side was my neighborhood of choice on Saturday afternoon. My first stop was to S’Mac, a macaroni and cheese restaurant near Cooper Union (E 12th St. bet. 1st and 2nd.) All I can say is yum! I had the “nosh” size Cajun mac n’ cheese and am already planning to go back for a “major munch” order of 4 Cheese and a “mongo” portion of Brie and roasted figs.




After fueling up at S'Mac, I was ready to peruse the Christmas market at Union Square. While you can’t replicate the ambiance (or Gluwein) at a German Christmas market, the market at Union Square is not to be missed. Candles, jewelry, shirts for dogs, skirts for ladies, bath “truffles” and pottery were just some of the things the market had to offer. The regular open-air market was also going strong. It was surreal, but also wonderfully new and relaxing to walk around the market sipping warm, spiced grape juice, while watching families buy Christmas trees and fresh meats, fruit and veggies brought in from upstate NY. Though surrounded by skyscrapers, concrete and urban grim, the vibrancy and accessibility of the market made me understand how people survive and and even thrive in the city.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool - sounds like you ARE becoming a New Yorker!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

a bit scary isn't it! Oh yeah, I was also told by someone on Thursday that I am intimidating. Me? Ha!! But I think that is another clear NYer sign:-)

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home