Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Kicking into Christmas


Wanting to celebrate my first New York Christmas in style, Katy Z and I headed off to Radio City Music Hall last night to see the Rockette’s Christmas Spectacular. What a theater and what a show! Radio City, with its red carpet, recessed lighting, voluminous stage curtains and overall art deco style was as grand as I could have imagined. I was so impressed by my surroundings that I was tempted to run down the aisle like Little Orphan Annie (luckily for Katy I restrained myself!)

The show itself had a little something for everyone—the long-legged dancers, Santa in 3D, dancing bears, ice skating and a live Nativity. I was most enthralled with the dancers. The world-famous kick line was truly something to see in person, as was the number where the dancers dress as toy soldiers and fall on top of one another like dominos. My favorite number, however, was the 12 Days of Christmas. The melody of the music was a rhythmic version of the song but had no words. Instead, the dancers were constantly forming new configurations corresponding to the number of the day as they acted out the different gifts. Does that make sense? Let's just say it was the traditional Rockettes, with a traditional song, performed with precision and a modern twist…amazing!

We had dinner at the Heights Cafe in Brooklyn--good food, great ambiance but they didn't take Visa. Who doesn't accept Visa?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, we gotta school you in the ways of food in the Heights.

While The Heights Cafe is one of the only passable places on Montague Street, it's still pretty much a waste of calories in the grand scheme of New York food.

We gotta get you Henry St. Ale House, Lucali's, Bucca Lopo, Noodle Pudding, Five Front, Joya and all the rest within fifteen minutes of your place worth your time, money and calories. ;)

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool is that? They're bringing the stage show of "White Christmas" here... on December 28th. So much for building up to the holidays. Stay warm and have the merriest holiday season yet! :-)

--jp

11:25 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ah, my wise Brooklyn sage comes through with more tips.
Thanks:-)
I need a good place to take the 'rents in a couple of weeks. Which one is closest to where I live (since you know where I live, which does freak me out just a bit:-o)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

JP, it's ridiculously warm here, but thanks for the Xmas greetings. The warm weather is all the more reason to look into a Heavenly ski weekend!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw "White Christmas" in Detroit over Thanksgiving, and it was fabulous! I highly recommend it.

Ask Corey about his feelings on the Rockettes... He was really being a booger about them to Aunt Barb over Thanksgiving. Shocking, but true.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home