Sunday, May 31, 2009

Governor's Island

Fun weekend-- the weather has been awesome and Governor's Island opened for the season. I know I've written about it before, but I love Governor's Island! Located in New York Harbor, it has been used by the Brits, used by NY to defend against the Brits, used as US Coast Guard and has now been turned into a park for all to enjoy.

The historic north side of the island has been open for the last few years. But this year the south side of the island (which was created by the dirt taken away when the 4-5-6 subway line was created) is open. People can now bike all the way around the island (2.2 miles, and yes, fun runs are also planned). The south side is also being used for unique events such polo, which was held there yesterday.

I've never seen polo before and was amazed that people can ride a horse, while swinging a mallet to hit a ball the size of a grapefruit. Incident waiting to happen if you ask me, but luckily, in this match, nobody got hurt:-) It was also cool that a woman was on one of the teams.

No pictures, but lots of fun memories. I will definitely be back to explore more of the island!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home