Monday, December 03, 2007

Puffy Coat Sandwich


After a weeks break from the blog, the Christmas season is now in full swing in NYC. The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree has been lighted, Christmas trees are starting to appear on street corners and yesterday we had our first real snowfall of the year.

The cold weather also means the return of puffy coats to the subway. Simply put, the subway is not large enough to accommodate puffy coats and I feel they should be banned. On the downtown 4/5 last week, I felt a bit like a puffy coat sandwich. A Jewish lady with short hair sat on one side of me reading a magazine while wearing a short black puffy coat. To my left sat a Korean guy, sleeping, wearing a baseball hat as well as a hooded sweatshirt and black puffy coat. In front of me stood a black lady, bopping along to her Ipod in a long puffy coat. Is all of this puffiness really necessary?

Related to the holiday season, Matt and I were on the hunt for Christmas trees last weekend 2 weekends ago. Apparently we were jumping the gun just a bit because the only place we found trees was at a nursery in Red Hook that wanted $75 for a 5-6 foot tall tree. Fortunately, we were heading to Newtown last weekend and found a couple great (and inexpensive) trees at Shady Brook Farm!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tree. We can't wait to hear about Christmas in New York!

CJS

10:57 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Absolutely! I've got friends in town this weekend so I am sure a Christmas market or two will be on the itinerary.
It's been flurring here all morning, which makes me VERY happy. Wish I had remembered to bring in some of my mom's spice tea mix for a mug of her holiday brew!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Niki said...

When are you going to be back in town after Christmas? I'm going to be in NYC (probably for the last time on Vanderbilt's dime) January 2nd through 4th. I hope we'll be able to get together!!

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tree is the classic "Hershey's Kiss" shape!
Very pretty!
Remember to set the timer so you can come home at night to the warm glow of your tree in the window! A sort of "Christmas on Clark Street" moment!
Love, Mom oxoxoxo

3:14 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

hiya, I'll be in town by the 2nd. Let's definitely get together!

Hi mom, timer has been set. It does look nice from the outside. The landlady called to say so...and to remind me to remove the pumpkins from the flower boxes...oops and duh;-)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home