Tuesday, November 13, 2007

NYese

Having lived in New York for almost a year now, I’ve picked up quite a bit of new terminology and find that I still learn more every day.

I believe I’ve already mentioned DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass), BoCoCa (Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens), SoBro (South Bronx) and FiDi (Financial District).

Over the weekend, I read about RAMBO (Right At the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) and Flattery (Flatbush Ave and Tillary). According to one website, RAMBO is not a new term; Flattery seems a bit more new.

Reading the NY tabloids also requires one to speak NYese. Just as an example: “Hill Says Brit Knows Nothing about Pols.” The DC part of me says that headline means “Politicans on Capitol Hill say a British person knows nothing about opinions polls” (perhaps a typo). A New Yorker would know that headline says “Hillary Clinton says Brittany Spears knows nothing about politicians.”

Finally, I just heard the term “locavore" this morning. Apparently it means someone who chooses to only eat locally grown/raised food. I am going to think of myself as a pescatarian recreational locavore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's lOcavore or lOcaLvore, not lAcavore. And I think it was just named "word of the year" by the Oxford English Dixtionary or some such.

If you fancy yourself a Locavore I suggest you save up your pennies and treat yourself to dinner at Applewood in Park Slope. It's the best local-oriented restaurant in Brooklyn.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

good call, typo!! (why I shouldn't post quickly from
work:-0)

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I ever hear anyone says FiDi on the street I am going to hit them over the head with my shoe.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

I think that recreational locavores would be a great name for a band.

My favorite "SFese" abbreviation so far -- DiFi. It's what the Chron (i.e. San Francisco Chronicle) uses as an abbreviation for Senator Diane Feinstein (at least in headlines on their website).

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home