Monday, May 17, 2010

Covert Gardening Season II

Last year's rooftop tomato plant was a success! Great tomatoes, my neighbors didn't rat me out and even helped me take care of the plants.

So this year, I decided to expand my operation. San Marzano and Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. PLUS, parsley, chives, dill, pineapple mint and basil.

The Union Square market was filled with more plants and varieties of tomatoes than I knew what to do with.


I didn't take any tomato plant photos but check out this one... If only my flower boxes got sun, I would bring "Geranium Court" to BH!








I also tried out a chai on the impostor MUD truck parked at Union Square because the MUD truck was missing from Astor Place on Saturday morning. (Come on MUD get it together!) The impostor truck still offers two ice chai latte sizes and tastes just as good, with the exception of a sprinkle of nutmeg that Mud adds to the top of its drinks.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see what you grow!

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is pineapple mint and what can you use it for?

I am trying to grow herbs for the first time this year. I find that they require a TON of water. So far I have kept them alive, but who knows if I can keep remembering to water them. I am growing mint, catnip :), oregano and coriander. I refuse to grow basil because apparently those buggers need to be watered daily. I don't have that kind of time!

AB

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. seeing the imposter MUD truck is reminding me of the delicious chai we had together. I must return to NYC this summer to have another chai from the real MUD truck with you!

AB

10:05 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Have fun, Erin! (Although I still can't quite get over the fact that you're doing something so blatantly against the rules.)

I'm enjoying my "urban gardening" so far this season! if you've got any extra room, I'd suggest planting some arugula -- it grows really fast and is very tasty. I'm also doing a tomato experiment to see if they'll grow best upside down or right side up. So far, right side up is winning, but just barely!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EHP, do you grow your arugula from seeds or plants?

AB

10:47 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

From seed, but I started them inside with a grow light for a couple of weeks. Apparently, though, if you've got a sunny enough spot, you can start them directly from seed outside!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Pineapple mint is just a type of mint--has a pineapple essence but I thought it would still be tasty with berry desserts and mojitos! (just wait for Mojito Mondays later this summer!)

Basil is easy, go for it! OR come visit me for a chai and I'll give you some of mine. (The Clark Street B&B is currently taking reservations for fall).

Arugula is a great idea. Back to Union Square Market this weekend.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Anuradha said...

Thanks EHP you are one talented woman! Now, how do you keep the squirrils away? I saw this morning that they have started digging at my strawberries and spinach!

ET, I am protesting basil. I have had 3 plants die on me already because I skipped a day of watering! Now I just buy bags of the green stuff from my favorite korean grocery store. I do need to visit you in NYC -- you are already booked up to Fall????

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home