Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cafe Steinhof

I have no idea where I first read about Cafe Steinhof but all it took was two words: Cheese Spaetzle, for me to want to pay a visit. Located in South Park Slope, the ambiance of Steinhof is great-- all wood, lots of antique signs in German and super friendly staff.

I ordered the cheese spaetzle and a pear cider. The spaetzle noodles appeared to be homemade-- little roundish dumplings of goodness. I was impressed by the dish's cheesy-ness. The fact that the cheese on the outside had gotten just a bit crispy (Schlecker-style) made it all the better! I would have preferred that the onions were carmelized on the top instead of mixed in, but over all a solid cheese spaetzle:-) The pear cider was the perfect accompanying drink.

Matt ordered sauerbraten. He liked it, especially the red cabbage that came with it.

We would definitely go back but both of us agree that we like Cafe Katja better. Not sure exactly why-- perhaps gemutlichkeit or maybe Katja's soft pretzels and liptauer cheese. I don't know. But Steinhof is a solid Austrian restaurant and a "go back to" place next time I am in Park Slope.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me!

But not as good as a fresh Bacon Cheeseburger at 6:30 in the morning. I just found a place that will make those for me. Can you find one of those in New York City?

CJS

6:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Can I get a veggie burger there at 6:30am?

This sounds like a great Corey Story. Care to share how/why one finds a bacon cheeseburger at 6:30am?

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home