Sunday, December 07, 2008

Tunneling through Brooklyn

I went for a run this afternoon (Katie's trying to convince me to run in a New Years Eve night race through Central Park so I need to get my rear in gear) and came across quite a strange sight. As I approached Atlantic Ave on Court Street I noticed an open manhole in the middle of the street, 10 or so people in the process of climbing into the hole and at least 20 people lined up on the sidewalk waiting to do the same thing.

What on earth??

This is the city where performance art includes masses of people taking off their pants and riding around on the subway. So strange is relative but it still caught me off guard.

A quick google search reveals what it was. Every month the Brooklyn Historic Railroad Association gives a tour of the Atlantic Ave. Tunnel, which it says is the world's oldest subway tunnel.

I TOTALLY WANT TO DO THAT!! Anyone want to join me??

Check out the MD blog to read more about one of the tours this summer and watch a video of part of it-- cool stuff!

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

COOL! As long as I can be promised that there won't be any rat sightings down there, I'm totally in! Do they do it only in the winter when it would be less smelly and hot?!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Stinkiness, good call! Yes, I was thinking about rats too.

I was thinking that the flash lights and volume of people encourage any rats to leave for a while.

Will have to investigate this a bit further.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in!
Dave

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick. Sounds damp, cold and smelly.

-Princess AB

11:26 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

I've been twice.

No rats.

No stink.

Not even really very dirty.

It's AMAZING. Go do it. Seriously.

Peter
http://www.FlashlightWorthyBooks.com

12:34 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Awesome, thanks Peter, my resident Brooklyn expert!

Come join me Katie and Dave! Aw, come on AB, you enjoyed walking across the Brooklyn Bridge (instead of taking a cab), I haven't steered you wrong yet:-)

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is true, ET, you do not torture me as much as JJY and EHP do. I guess I can trust you . . . :)

AB

10:30 AM  
Blogger The Exit said...

I think, I'd like to join. :)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

definitely! I think you should plan a NYC vacation around an upcoming tour!!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home