Monday, March 24, 2008

Urban Ettiquette

Though there are oodles of things I love about New York, a seeming "urban ettiquitte" is not on the list.

First, I've had 3 unfortunate incidents on the subway in recent months. One lady shoved me getting in the subway and then tried to stare me down all the way up the East side. A second lady poked me in the shoulder to demand an apology after I accidentally stepped on her toe (and she missed the first apology because she had her CD player cranked to the max.) The third lady blew past me to get out of the subway and then had the audacity to look back and glare at me...B*&^h!

Then came this article in the New York Post. "NO!: What's a Favor in Cleveland is an Imposition in NYC." The paper interviewed a "time management expert" who said,

"New Yorkers are right to hold themselves to a different standard because we live in an exceptional place. 'In any other city, when a guest is coming, a friend goes to pick them up from the airport. It doesn't make sense for us to do that,' she says. When we are not working, commuting and trying to squeeze in time with our significant others, there are still 8 million people to see and 10 billion things to do in this thriving metropolis."

What on earth is that all about? I do acknowledge that I am more busy now than ever before. But does that mean that I have a pass (or would want to) on helping people or hosting them while in town? Absolutely not!

Message to New York City...GET MIDWEST FRIENDLY!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally Agree! The coasts could benefit from a big dose of Midwest hospitality!!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Right on midwest cuz! :-)

7:03 AM  
Blogger Lexy said...

word. also, i've noticed that in nyc, if you smile at people walking down the street, even in your own neighborhood, they look at you like you are insane.
if i don't smile at people in my neighborhood (in the midwest) i would feel guilty, like, for two hours.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also believe that you are NEVER too busy to be polite. New Yorkers need to get over themselves.

AB

8:11 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

thanks guys! glad we are all right and this article is totally WRONG:-)

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home