Thursday, February 28, 2008

Hello Neighbor

Ah my neighbors, ah the stories...like the woman in my building who broke up with her boyfriend from 1-2am a few weeks back. Her yelling "F&*% you" out the window at him while he walked into the subway station was probably the clincher. Then there was the college kid who felt it necessary at 3am to call his parent and scream about how terrible the other kids in the dorm are and make threats against them (2 officers from the 84th precinct finally had something to say about that.)

But in the spirit of friendlier neighborly relations, I would like to highlight Sweater Day, part of "Won't you be my neighbor week" in Pittsburgh. Sweater Day is being held on March 20, in honor of what would have been Mr. Rogers' 80th birthday. People from around the world are being encouraged to wear their favorite sweater and send a picture or video of yourself to the Fred Rodgers organization called Family Communications. My favorite Mr. Rogers sweater was always his red one (he NEVER wore it often enough.)



So I plan to wear a red sweater on March 20 and maybe I'll make nice with my neighbors (and the 3 people who have been mean to me recently on the subway...subject of an upcoming post.)

"Would you be mine, would you be mine, won't you be my neighbor?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

I'm so with you on the sweater day! I used to just adore Mr. Rogers. My mom loves to tell the story about how either me or my sister (attributing quotes to one twin or another 30 years later is often tough) asked my mother to please marry Mr. Rogers so he could be our daddy. Too bad our parents were already happily married.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Lexy said...

i prefer the yellow sweater. like a baby chick or a spring flower! so sunny! so cheerful! and he never dropped his shoe as he tossed it from one hand to the other; i was always amazed.
see you in Baltimore?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home