Sunday, January 07, 2007

DC Girls Gone Wild

My first full weekend in NYC and I was thrilled that Erica and Rachel were able to come up from DC to visit! DC girls gone wild, okay maybe not, but we did have a great time;-)


Though Daniel claims the cool places in Brooklyn Heights are only in the “South Heights,” he agreed to cross Montague Street and meet his old GW pals for dinner and a drink at the Henry Street Ale House on Friday night. The mac n’ cheese got the Erica seal of approval and Rachel said the burger was great!


We were hard to catch on Saturday as we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge, walked through Chinatown, SOHO, Greenwich Village and Union Square. Honestly, until recently, it never dawned on me that walking across the Brooklyn Bridge was a “thing to do.” But now I am hooked…the views of the city were great and the bridge is stunning from up close. I could have people-watched all day; the bridge was abuzz with runners and a ton of tourists (of course the 70 degree weather helped too!)


The stink and crowds during part of our stroll quickly reminded me why I didn’t want to live in Manhattan. Gag! That said, I forgot how cool SOHO is! Galleries, shops and an Apple store next to J Crew…what more could you want!? On the other hand, I am still looking for the fun and hip part of Greenwich Village. I am always told how cool it is to live in “the Village.” Either I am closer to Ugly Betty than I think and just don’t get it or we missed something. The only thing I saw of note was this building that reminded me of a German Plattenbau (communist apartment building) due to its clean lines and balconies with orange and yellow colored walls.


We munched on Belgian fries and dipping sauces from Pommes Frites (2nd Ave between 7th and St. Marks Pl.) in the Lower East Side for lunch. French fries for lunch…it’s great to be an adult:-)

DC Girls Gone Wild Part II in a couple of days...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with this picture?!? It's a "balmy" 70 degrees in NY and the highs this week in Sac are going to be in the high 40s/low 50s???

Maybe I chose the wrong coast, after all...

10:26 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Hey Erin,

Thanks for a great weekend -- it was great to see you (and Daniel and Heather)!

I hope everything's ok with the gas leak or whatever in Manhattan!

Cheers,
Erica

P.S. The "girls gone wild" headline is definitely a bit of a misnomer (unless you're referring to all the food we ate)!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

JP, you should come East! Though I am convinced that as soon as it does get cold, we are going to have a blizzard.

Erica, yeah, I think I need to come up with a different title for the blog. I noticed that people have found the blog by Googling "girls gone wild." My blog was probably NOT what they were looking for:-)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

nothing is as good as Schlappen, but Pommes Frites is a definite go back to...when a certain friend from Philly comes for a visit:-)

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my - you do NOT want the traffic you are probably getting from the Girls Gone Wild seekers. That is hysterical! Tomorrow you should name your blog "hot action" or something like that.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home