Sunday, December 13, 2009

Santa Con

Matt and I headed out yesterday afternoon for a bit of pre-holiday fun. We felt very hip checking out a gallery in Chelsea. German artist Christopher Thomas had his black and white New York photos on display. We were very impressed! (Unfortunately the works of art were just a few thousands of dollars above our gift limit for each other for Christmas;-))

Next we were off to the Union Square Christmas market. This is always a holiday favorite of mine and the market was packed! I'll be back some day after work for a mug of gluwein (albeit nonalcoholic).

The day was to conclude with a chai from the MUD Truck. But Matt convinced me to walk through Washington Square Park on the way to the subway. Good decision...

Throughout the day I/we had been seeing Santas-- a dozen in the subway (where I really thought they were sharing a 2 liter bottle of cranberry ginger ale just because the find it tasty like me...until I thought about it).

And here...




And here...




And here...



On the subway, I had asked Santa where he and his other Santas were going. He said Saturday was Santa Con(vention), a charity pub crawl that has taken place for a number of years. Early on, people would gather on the steps of the main post office. But as it has grown and grown, people start from all of the boroughs and work their way into the city.



No sooner was I commenting that we had seen at least 75 Santas, then we came to the park that was filled with HUNDREDS of Santas! Yes, alcohol was definitely involved and the police were starting to arrive. But it was awesome nonetheless. Only in New York!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only in New York . . .

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home