Thursday, August 20, 2009

Woodstock

Far out man, I was there! Really:-)

I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with Matt's family in the Catskill Mountains, near Hunter ski resort. After a delightfully relaxing Friday, Matt's mom suggested we go to Woodstock on Saturday because there was a good tea shop. I was sold!

It probably doesn't come as a great shock that I had NO IDEA that it was the 40th Anniversary of Woodstock. What a fun surprise. While I am sure there are still a healthy amount of hippies tooling around town on an average weekend, last weekend the town was packed.

Musicians played folk songs on their guitars every couple hundred yards. Peace signs abounded. Tie dye was everywhere. It was wonderful.

Indeed the tea shop was great too. It was a Harney and Sons shop where I could get my favorite green tea with citrus. I also bought an ice wine tea. Haven't tried it yet, but it is one of my favorite kinds of wine.

Here's a question for debate. In telling someone about my trip on Monday, the person said his toddler daughter had recently received some clothes from a friend, among which was a shirt with a peace sign on it. He didn't want her to wear it out of the house because people might think her parents were making a political statement. I suggested the symbol has lost most of its original meaning and who doesn't like peace?! Your thoughts? Would you let your tots toddle with peace signs?

4 Comments:

Blogger Corey Stringer said...

Charlie is welcome to wear peace signs on her shirts. It might operate to offset the black skulls and guitars shirt she has.

What fun to be up at Woodstock last weekend!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, wearing peace shirts, breaking into rooftops, growing illegal tomatoes, hanging out in San Francisco; I guess you are now officially our family hippie. DT

12:12 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

Charlie Jo would definitely wear peace signs, even though I am pretty far from a hippie! I do think it's lost much, if not most, of its political significance. There are TONS of baby clothes out there with peace signs on them now, and they are even sold in Tennessee (the ANTI-hippie state!). Actually, she had some little shoes with peace signs on them, but they didn't match with much and thus she didn't wear them all that often. They were pretty cute though.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous stephanie said...

Of course! I would let Q wear a peace sign. We could use a little more peace in our world!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home