Thursday, August 13, 2009

Urban Gardening

Some people sneak around having affairs or doing drugs. I too have been sneaking around for the last month. And what nefarious and covert activity have I been engaged in? Growing a tomato plant on my roof:-o

I got the idea in my head that I wanted home grown tomatoes. But my flower boxes are full and the front of the building doesn't get nearly enough sunlight anyway. So I decided to sneak a plant up onto the very sunny roof.

There are no alarms to go off if you open the door to the roof, just a sign that says "keep off of the roof." I also have to contend with a few flights of creaky stairs that could give away my location to a nosy neighbor. I have decided to take the sign more as a general suggestion rather than an explicit order. And I skip stairs to minimize squeaking and even use the squeaking to my advantage to listen for neighbors before I head out to do my watering. But the nosy neighbor busted me! He popped out of his apartment, initially happy to see me, but quickly gave a disapproving glance and "ohhh" when I told him what I was doing. I don't know why he is so upset. It was his partner who first showed me the roof when I moved in. I can only surmise that he's concerned I won't lock the door properly and figures that if the boogie man ever got in he'd hit his apartment rather than descend a couple flights of stairs to mine.

Feeling guilty, I moved the plant out to the garden, hoping that it would get enough sunlight. But I am not sure it does, plus the garden smells like cat sometimes and I didn't want the tomatoes to get peed on. AND the garden is a fancy garden and I am not sure certain people (one in particular who determines how much rent I pay each year) would appreciate the aesthetic of my jury-rigged tomato cage and plastic pot.

So back to the roof Mr. Tomato went. Neighbors be damned! I want tomatoes, I'm not hurting anyone, and if I get busted by the super I plan to flash my nicest midwest smile... and then maybe offer a tomato or two:-)...

I've had 3 tomatoes so far and they are DELIC! Pictures to come.

6 Comments:

Anonymous stephanie said...

You go girl! We tried the tomato plant in a pot thing, but my pot was too small. So, what did Don do? He pulled out a bush by the front of the garage and planted a pumpkin plant and my tomato plant. Classy!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have a feeling that tomato plant might be taking a ride on New Jersey Transit back to Newtown at some point :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Corey Stringer said...

This sounds like a kids book in the making!

The Adventures of Tommy Paul the Tomato Plant!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Anuradha said...

I actually own a plot of land (finally) and had great dreams of growing summer veggies, but those damn squirrils keep stealing them!!! Ugh. So, now it is just full of flowers, which is nice too. I wish I had a rooftop too . . .

3:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ooh, you'll have pumpkins in the fall, neat! Who cares about the bush:-)

Katertater, are you implying that I won't be able to take care of the plant? No way, I am a good gardner. UPDATE: came home from the mountains and someone had moved the plant to a sunnier spot. I think Tommy Paul might become a collective plant (and collective secret)

Good idea CJS!

AB, you could fence the plants in. I can't wait to see your place sometime.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a city gal now Erin! :)
Aunt Barb

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home