Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pure Michigan

Every year, usually in March or April, I have a moment. It is a moment that sounds, smells or feels like Leland, Michigan. It can be the way the clouds look, the way the warm sun plays with a cool breeze on my skin, or the smell of Fish Town (a bit yucky but inviting at the same time.) This moment reminds me that my northern Michigan vacation is getting close.

I did indeed have my Leland moment earlier this year-- as I rounded the corner from Clark Street to Henry Street. There was a strong wind (why is the wind always so strong on the west side of the Hotel St. George?!) but the sun was wonderfully warm. There was little humidity in the air and the clouds were billowy.

But the truth is that I have been smiling about Michigan a lot more lately, in fact almost every time I turn on the tv and see a "Pure Michigan" commercial. After years of getting the "Jersey shore is better" look and being asked "why on earth do you vacation in Michigan," the Pure Michigan commercials visually sum it up in 30 seconds. The speaker's voice (is that Michiganian Tim Allen??) is welcoming and has a hint of MI accent. The images are beautiful. And it reminds me that despite the perpetually negative stories about the auto industry coming out the Motor City, Michigan is a fantastic, highly under rated state.



So later this week I am off for a week to enjoy some Pure Michigan moments of my own-- year #30 at The Jolli Lodge! As another old Michigan commercial used to say, "Yes, Michigan, the feeling forever, Yes Michigan!"



10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Great post! These commercials have made my spring... everytime they come on I have to stop to watch! My Michigan moment this year came while running along the Potomac. See you at DTW in 3 days!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just said to me the other day that you want to go to the jersey shore. My parents are witnesses. Dont deny it!

MM

5:18 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

I think that is Tim the Tool Man Taylor (Tim Allen)! He's the perfect spokesperson, once having been a resident in a, um, state-run facility there. Hee hee. I think Corey and I saw a Michigan ad once with Jeff Daniels (from "Dumb & Dumber") narrating it. He's a proud Michigan native as well!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yes, see you at DTW. Race you to the first store/restaurant that sells Vernors:-)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Indeed, I do want to go to the Jersey Shore. I just want some Pure Michigan first!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Don and Steph said...

Wonderful post! I'm so glad you posted the commercials because I haven't seen them yet. They don't run those in MN. Just the Jeff Daniels one. Have a great trip!!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viele viele Grueße an meinen Lieblings-Bundesstaat!
Franka aus Berlin / Wilmersdorf

2:49 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hi Franka! toll von dir zu horen! have a falafel for me:-)
-ET

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mach ich ganz bestimmt!
Franka

6:54 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Hope you have a great trip, Erin (and thanks for posting the commercials for those of us who are televisionally challenged)!!

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home