Monday, October 20, 2008

222 Pow Wow

16 Taylors (plus Matt) gathered in the woods of southwest Ohio for a most auspicious event this weekend-- The 222 Pow Wow. The what? The celebration of Granny's 80th birthday, Grandpa's 82nd birthday and their 60th wedding anniversary!! Pow WOW indeed!

We stayed at the lodge in Hueston Woods state park, which looks like a giant teepee. The park is just five miles away from the bucolic town of Oxford, OH home to Miami of Ohio University.

Arrivals were fun on Friday. G&G were there first, followed by mom, dad and Katie and then Matt and me. We all then greeted the rest of the gang from MI, TN and MN throughout the afternoon. After check in, we all gathered in G&G's room "at 6 for 7." (A British term I'm told-- drinks at 6 for a 7pm meal:-)) And what was the post-dinner entertainment? A press conference with Matt. Yes, I'm serious! After a flip comment Matt made many months ago that he should hold a press conference to avoid a barrage of questions all weekend, my (silly and wonderful) cousin Corey decided to make the comment a surprise reality. "Matt, if you were a cereal, what kind of cereal would you be?" "MSU or U of M?" And from my 12 year old cousin, "hi my name is Ellie. I am Erin's favorite cousin. Matt, as a life long greater New York City resident I am curious to know what you think will be the effect of the federal bailout as it relates to the existing over burden of the New York taxpayer and the need to reduce the capital gains tax?" He handled the surprise like a pro:-)



Saturday morning found us taking a family picture and then 7 of us headed for the golf course for 9 holes. Dad, Matt and I were a team and can I just say that it was one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I've played. I had two of my favorite guys driving me in a cart, spotting my drives and finding my ball when I hit it into the woods. Lovely:-)



Unfortunately the afternoon turned ugly when MSU lost to OU. Better luck next week against U of M!!

We gathered once again "at 6 for 7" for the big celebration. What fun! Granny and Grandpa, boards of family pictures and tasty appetizers greeted us when we entered our private dining room. What followed was a great dinner and a wonderful evening of laughs and toasting Granny and Grandpa. In 60 years they have formed and led a family that owes so much of its success, happiness and closeness to them. They are our inspiration!! Happy Anniversary!!

Goodbyes were sad on Sunday morning, but we had had a fantastic weekend. Matt and I were the last to leave the lodge and weren't scheduled to leave from Dayton until 7pm. What ever did we find to do? Find out tomorrow...

More pictures when mom sends me what she took (hint hint:-))

10 Comments:

Blogger Don and Steph said...

Great summary of the weekend! It was wonderful to see you and meet Matt! Have a great week! SJS

2:38 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I should have added that we are all excited for you and Don...and that never before have I ever seen a brother so excited for a sister as Corey is for you and the arrival of Baby S.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

ooh, and I also forgot the singing of God Bless America on Friday and the sing-off on Saturday. Oh, what the wait staff must have thought about our group:-)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Don and Steph said...

No kidding! We're a unique bunch aren't we? And, thank you! We're excited too! It seems like February will never get here! SJS

9:16 AM  
Blogger Niki said...

Looks like Matt was golfing with a bunch of Hobbits! And that Granny and Katie were using over-sized balls... ; )

1:17 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

yes, that's what they played with...should have seen them explode!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pretty fun to watch audults talk, you guys sound like bigger versions of sixth graders!!! hehe

9:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey! Who are you are calling Hobbits?! I think it looks like we were playing golf with the B.F.G (Big Friendly Giant)!

xoxo
KT

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn I'm tall

6:44 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

but still huggable:-)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home