Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Refuse to believe it!

An unbelievable story in the NY Post caught my eye right before I left for Moscow, so I saved it for…now.

A professor at the University of Hertfordshire in Britain studied how fast people around the world walk, based upon walking along a 60-foot stretch of pavement. Which city has the fastest walkers according to the study? NOT NEW YORK! WHAT!? According to the study, New York City comes in at a shocking 8th place. Singaporeans walk the fastest and people in Malawi walk the slowest.

Here’s the 10 top list:
1.Singapore
2.Copenhagen
3.Madrid
4.Guangzhou (China)
5.Dublin
6.Curitiba (Brazil)
7.Berlin
8.New York
9.Utrecht
10.Vienna

Apparently, people were secretly timed walking 60-feet on a busy street, which was flat and wide enough for people to walk at their maximum speed. Perhaps the article was just not being technical, but the term “busy” seems very subjective to me. There is no way that Berliners walk faster than New Yorkers. Thoughts?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. I think the city with the fastest walkers is wherever Erica P. lives and the city with the slowest walkers is wherever Mike M. lives. Mike M.'s city will become the second slowest whenever myself and Jennie Y. are together in the same city.

AB

5:03 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

i suppose it depends on where you measure. i mean, potsdamer platz is wide and flat, so maybe he measured there. but you really have to truck it there if you want to build up enough momentum to just breeze past all the people trying to stop you to sign various protest forms.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Anu, I do not walk THAT fast!! Hmmm, but maybe I should go check out Singapore. I do indeed like places where I don't have to dodge slow people!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Yes, AB and JY do stroll in comparison to EP and ET. I really book it now when Mr. 6'1 is in tow...his legs are so much longer!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. 6'1?!?! Is there something you've been hiding from your loyal blog audience???

7:22 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

:-) See you in Sacramento!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh that is tricky. Tall guys are very sexy but the long legs can be a challenge (in more ways than one!) :P

Y.K.W. (You Know Who)

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will I see Mr. 6'1" in Sacramento!?!? You're killin' me! ;-)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

OMG YKW! Though I often times just pretend to be shocked, your comment did cause me to gasp. (I plan to quickly post a new entry in order to quell this topic of conversation:-P) And yes, my Stat Counter confirms that I do know who:-)

JP, I am coming by myself to Cali, but with stories about all the new things I've found in the Big Apple:-)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ET - you're coming to northern California and not to SoCal? Boo. I heard somewhere that a person's walking pace acts as a signal of class and status, at least in the U.S.!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Anuradha said...

Anon, when you say that walking pace acts as a signal of class and status, is there a direct or an inverse relationship?

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ET your mind is in the gutter! :) I was just implying that when a guy has longer legs he is harder to kiss because you can't reach his cheek so easily. tsk tsk tsk!

Y.K.W.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

YKW,
Okay, alles klar, I agree with that assessment:-)
Greetings from the gutter;-)ET

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home