Friday, March 30, 2007

Life Beyond the Heights

Brooklyn extends beyond Brooklyn Heights? Who knew?! I had a most wonderful evening on Tuesday checking out Boerum Hill and Fort Greene. (And by "checking out" I mean I went to one place in each neighborhood…but heh, it’s a start.)

Anyway, the Brooklyn Inn on Hoyt Street is a charming little watering hole in Boerum Hill. A giant dark wood bar wraps around the front room, which smells vaguely like cigarette smoke reminding me of a time gone by. There was a pool table in the back room but we stayed in the front of the house. I assumed Boerum Hill would be sketchy and there was more construction and change going on that you would find in the Heights, but overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Stop #2 was the Stonehome Wine Bar in Fort Greene. What a gem! The décor is modern --almost Scandavian looking-- but the atmosphere is totally relaxed and warm. One fun option is to try a “flight” of 3 different wines that all complement each other. I didn’t do that, but my white wine from South Africa was splendidly unique—sweet and fruity, it smelled like grapefruit. The cheese plates were great too! We sat inside, but there was a cozy patio out back that would be fun to take advantage of in the summer. As long as you skip the shrimp, you should definitely try Stonehome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Citizens of TC would like a greater clarification of "we"!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

LOL, you found my intentionally placed dangling pronoun:-)

let me enlighten you... "we" can be used to describe:
1. oneself and someone else
2. the royal or editorial we

I was using the word in the former sense. We at New York Adventures Blog hope this has clarified things for you;-)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home