Friday, February 26, 2010

A Pizza Snowstorm Miracle

2:30pm, I call Maggie at DiFara pizza to see whether she and her dad plan to close early because of the snow. "We'll be open unless something major changes. 7pm, 8pm, we'll be open," she says.

Game on! The subways are messed up but Matt and I will not be defeated.

The question of the night, how crowded will DiFara be?

7:45pm, the Q train pulls in to Avenue J in Midwood.

As we wait to cross the street, we see no line and few people inside. I can tell that Matt is about to break into a full run to get in there.

We open the door and... VICTORY IS OURS! 2 girls are seated enjoying a pie, a couple has just finished and ONE GUY is waiting for a pie.

Mark the date--On February 25, 2010, we were enjoying the best pizza in the city just 10 minutes after we placed an order!

It was almost like we were at Bizarro DiFara, something felt off without hoards of people. We were probably looking back in time to DiFara 1999, before it registered on the Zagat radar.

So how was the pizza? Marvelous as usual! The perfect balance of cheese, sauce, basil and grana padano. The crust was perhaps a bit thicker than normal, which was enjoyable and the charing was perfect.

Dom even gave me a little laugh and flashed a smile when I told him that I'm going to pray for a snow storm every time I come to visit him.

Remarkable storm, remarkable pie, remarkable night. Oh DiFara, we love u!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Anuradha said...

wow, 10 min, that is even better than pizza hut! :)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Difara is the pizza they serve in Heaven.

MM

10:53 AM  
Blogger Anuradha said...

ET, have I been to difara? If not, we must go when I visit in March or April!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

No you haven't been to DiFara. I can't promise a 10 minute wait...1.5 hours is more likely but we can definitely go if you are up for the adventure:-)

I think the mark of having pull in this city isn't having the word "mayor" in front of your name or being able to get a table at Monkey Bar. I think it's definitely all about being able to jump the line at DiFara. Alas, I don't have any pull.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Anuradha said...

ET, is anything "really" worth a 1.5 H wait???

Anuradha "the Impatient" Banerjee

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home