Sunday, January 25, 2009

The scary library

After my run yesterday morning, I stopped by the library to pick up a few travel books. As I bopped back down the stairs to check out, I overheard a most amusing and perceptive conversation.

4 year old boy to father: I don't want to [walk up the stairs] they are scary
Father to 4 year old boy: It's okay it's just that the building was built in the 1950's.

The kid is right, the Brooklyn Heights library is scary. I thought a similar thing the first time I walked up the stairs. I don't know what it is but it does kind of creep me out. I assume this is partially because I was raised on the library gold standard, the Rochester Public Library, but even the library I used to go to in Pennsylvania is warmer than the BH library. Okay, it's not so much that it is scary but it completely devoid of warmth. And to a 4 year old I can see how a cold building could be a scary building.

As for the father's comment, that's just funny!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Head on over to the main branch @ Grand Army Plaza and go straight to the brand-new children's wing. Maybe the coolest children's library I've ever seen. :)

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is just that library's (and librarian's) are scary.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

travel books??? where are you going ET?

AB

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home