Monday, June 09, 2008

Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray

As I mentioned last week, I unexpectedly tried Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray (celery flavored soda) in a mixed drink and was pleasantly surprised. I finally found cans of it over the weekend (at Fairway) and am still surprised at how much I like it, even straight out of the can.

It smells distinctly like celery. At first taste, it is sweet and fizzy, though not as fizzy as Vernors. It then becomes a bit spicy and warm tasting before finishing with another celery flavor, though your pallet feels remarkable cleansed.

Indeed a cleansed pallet seems to be the reason it was created in the first place. It was first produced in 1869 and is thought to be the perfect accompaniment to pastrami or corned beef sandwiches found at many Jewish delis in New York.

In a fun Michigan twist, I've found references to where you can get the "pop" in the Detroit area-- mainly at the Jewish delis in West Bloomfield. There is also a reference to it tasting like flat Vernors. I would say that while it might be closer in flavor to Vernors than any other pop I've tried but it is quite different.

I bet it would be good with Granny's watermelon ice cubes.

8 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

I think it sounds delicious! I'm going to look for it in Nashville. And I need to try some of Granny's ice cubes. Maybe in July!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm. I had forgotten about Granny's ice cubes - gotta try those soon. The celery soda sounds great. Next step - broccoli soda!

CJS

10:15 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have a giant watermelon waiting for me at home to make some cubes tonight- YUM-O! Still not sure how I feel about the celery soda though... the only thing worse I can think of would be cilantro soda :)

Next time I am in NYC, we'll have to give it a try!

xoxo
KT

2:16 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I know it sounds bad, and you know my feelings on celery, but really it's fantastic! Perhaps an acquired taste, but you've got to give it a shot.

Yes, Granny's ice cubes are wonderful! My mom made mellon ice cubes last year, which were also fantastic...though I don't see mellon going quite as well with my new found pop:-)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Corey Stringer said...

Katie - are you kidding? Cilantro pop would be GREAT!

I wonder if I could make Salsa Ice Cubes to throw in vodka for a Mexican drink?

Might be good. Might be gross.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A recent study has found that there is a substance in celery that can decrease your risk of getting alzheimer's. I am all for the celery soda!!!
Love, Mom oxoxoxox

3:27 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

ooh, see, there we go... I'll bring you a whole case

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It seems most "outsiders" who try Cel-Ray don't like it. But indeed, any native knows that there's no better drink to accompany a knish or other deli food.

So you've passed the taste test... Welcome to New York ;)

--NewYorkDave

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home