Thursday, September 07, 2006

Brooklyn

Yesterday was my first trip into New York City, specifically Brooklyn. According to my friends, “Brooklyn is cool,” “Brooklyn is cheaper than the Upper East Side,” “Brooklyn isn’t too far from work,” “Brooklyn has a neat food co-op.”

So I met Drew, who I’ve known since before I knew that I knew people, at Penn Station and we headed to Brooklyn. Drew just moved to Brooklyn, knows 9 days more about the borough than I do, and is therefore my Brookyln expert! Our first stop was Brooklyn Heights.
In two words: LOVE IT! It is:
A. picturesque
B. relatively quiet
C. has a view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty
D. is full of great little shops and cafes

My favorite streets were the fruit streets: Cranberry, Pineapple and Orange. I’m serious, those really are 3 streets in Brooklyn Heights! If I can afford it, I would love to live in this area.

Cobble Hill was our second stop. This part of town is in BoCoCa. Learning the New York lingo is part of my NYC education. I could also live in SOHO, DUMBO or Hell’s Kitchen…WHAT!? Transportation-wise, I don’t think it will be quiet as convenient to work, but it was still very cute. It was in Cobble Hill that Drew and I stopped for some delicious she-she sushi at Cube 63 (never did figure out what that name means. Is 63 an important # in Japan??)

Park Slope is also great, though something was slightly off with the vibe. I don’t know how to describe it without being mean. Don’t get me wrong, I may well end up living here. But the people I walked past on the street oozed a certain, “we are cool granola-head New Yorkers, turned rich yuppie Brooklyners.” I can say, however, that the brownstone townhouses and tree-lined streets were spectacular and I will definitely be back to numerous restaurants in the neighborhood!

The last stop of the day was Williamsburg. I must admit that I was least impressed by this part of Brooklyn.
A. the hipster factor is WAY too high (and, well, you know me!) I saw one guy whose cool hipster sunglasses were bigger than his painted-on hipster jeans (and he was really wearing them on his hips!)
B. there were too many people wearing New York Yankees hats, tilted to the side, without bent/shaped brims, while playing football and working on rusty Trans Am cars in the street.

So those are my reflections on Brooklyn. Of course I have just scratched the surface. And tomorrow I head back to check out the Upper East Side and Astoria. I forgot my camera yesterday, but will bring it tomorrow!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i realize i have no power over you, but nonetheless, i FORBID you to move to williamsburg. yuck.

and didn't i tell you about park slop (or, um, slope)? oh so pretty but with a twisted underside of snotty richness. but maybe i am just jealous.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

No worries, Williamsburg was not my cup of tea:-) On Williamsburg's behalf, I think I began by walking on the border between Williamsburg and East Williamsburg. But even when we walked along the main street, it still didn't feel right for me.
The hipsters in Williamsburg reminded me of Berliners in many ways.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good! You should have some pictures of the places you wanna live!

And guess what? I decided to move, too!

3:41 AM  
Blogger kelly said...

wow-- you make it sound so interesting i might actually want to visit :-) and that's a big step for such an anti-NYCer as myself.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Herr Exit, have you found a place? I will have to check your blog for the latest news!

Kelly, you know you have a standing invite... my friend Andy who I mentioned in the last post has never lived outside of Michigan and just moved to Brooklyn. If he can move, you would surely love the city for a visit.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home